- Modern & high-quality eBikes
- By bike from the highlands to the Pacific coast
- Rainforest hikes and excursions
- Animal observations: howler monkeys, sloths & co.
- Turrialba volcanoes and Arenal
- Visiting locals in Sarapiquí
- Excursions in national parks
- Relax and snorkel on the pacific beaches of Sámara
Majestic volcanoes such as Turrialba or Arenal mark our the way as we cycle along river branches, past coffee-, pineapple- and sugar cane plantations, through swamps and rainforests before we finally reach the plains of the Pacific Coast. As we cycle through this magical country, we’ll be also witnessing its great wildlife…
At Sarapiquí, a particularly intense encounter with the Ticos is awaiting us, as we are a guest of local families who introduce us to the secrets of pepper cultivation and the delicious Costa Rican cuisine. In Boca Tapada we let ourselves be captivated by the impressive nature of the northern lowlands and relax our muscles in the warm thermal waters of La Fortuna. Eventually we cross Lake Arenal and then follow the sound of the ocean finally reaching the white beaches of Sámara on the Pacific Coast…
Day 1: Arrival to San José
Arriving at San José airport we are welcomed by our local guide and driven to our hotel in the center of this bustling city with around 340,000 inhabitants. Well known sights, such as the Gold-, Jade- and National Museums or the Central market are just within walking distance. Numerous urban parks, like the famous Parque Nacional, are located at almost every corner to linger and relax.
Accommodation: Hotel Colonial
eBike distance: 0 km – no route today
Day 2: Orosi – Tapantí
This morning we’ll hop on our private bus and head towards the village of Orosi. On the way we stop in Cartago and visit the basilica before hoping on our eBikes for the first time. After an introduction to our loyal companions we ride about 13 km towards the entrance of the national park Tapantí, stopping for lunch along the way. Afterwards we’ll start exploring the national park by eBike and by foot.
Accommodation: Tapanti Media Lodge
eBike distance: approx. 28 km
↑ 410 m ↓ 410 m
Day 3: Purisil – Pejibaye – Turrialba
Passing coffee and sugar cane plantations, we travel with our eBikes through Purisil to Pejibaye into the sector La Suiza. We are reaching Turrialba located at about 640 m above sea level and connecting the highlands of the Central Valley with the lowlands of the Caribbean. Turrialba was once an important stop on the old “Atlantic Railway” between Cartago and Puerto Limón. One of the region’s biggest attractions is the volcano Turrialba (3,339 m).
Accommodation: Turrialtico Lodge
eBike distance: approx. 46 km
↑ 880 m ↓ 1.190 m
Day 4: Turrialba – Siquirres – Sarapiquí – El Roble
This morning our bus takes us to Sarapiquí on a short drive. From here we start cycling for about 38 km. Today’s stage offers a fantastic view of the River Reventazón. Since the launch of the largest hydroelectric power plant in Latin America in 2016, the energy generated here meets the needs of more than 500,000 households.
Our bus takes us further on to little El Roble near Sarapiquí, where we’ll visit a local family and learn about their traditions, processing and history in growing pepper since the 1950s. They will also introduce us to some delicious Costa-Rican food, together we’ll prepare typical delicacies, which we’ll enjoy at a joint dinner.
Accommodation: Tirimbina Lodge
eBike distance: approx. 38 km
↑ 1.260 m ↓ 1.580 m
Day 5: Sarapiquí – Boca Tapada
After breakfast we’ll leave Sarapiquí on our eBikes heading north. The village of Boca Tapada at Río San Carlos is our destination today. Plantations of thriving pineapples accompany our route until we hit the dense rainforest and reach Boca Tapada. Here, life is relaxed and in harmony with nature. Three small family-run hotels, which are often visited by nature lovers, form the tourist infrastructure of the village.
Accommodation: Pedacito de Cielo
eBike distance: approx. 37 km
↑ 350 m ↓ 438 m
Day 6: Boca Tapada
Today we take a closer look at the beautiful nature of Boca Tapada. After breakfast we start our day with a boat tour. Just before we reach the border of Nicaragua, we hop onto our eBikes and cycle along the border for a few miles, before a hilly path through the forest leads us to the private reserve of the lodge. We get off and continue by foot, exploring the mystical rainforest. In the early afternoon we return to our lodge and have some leisure time to relax or do some bird-watching.
Accommodation: Pedacito de Cielo
eBike distance: approx. 25 km
↑ 418 m ↓ 418 m
Day 7: Boca Tapada – La Fortuna
Today´s eBike journey leads us through the northern lowlands via San Marcos and Tabla Grande to Boca Arenal. Amazing how diverse the landscapes are on our way… green meadows alternate with swamps, rain- and cloud forest as we drive along river branches and past active volcanoes. From Boca Arenal we’ll continue by bus to La Fortuna, situated at the foot of the Arenal Volcano.
Relaxation awaits us in the evening at a local thermal bath, where we’ll enjoy a delicious dinner as well.
Accommodation: Faro Arenal or Las Flores
eBike distance: approx. 49 km
↑ 916 m ↓ 879 m
Day 8: El Castillo on Lake Arenal – Sámara
We reach El Castillo, located on the south side of the Arenal Lake, cycling along a gravel road. With the help of our support vehicle we even cross a river and enjoy the quiet ride along the lakeshore to Río Chiquito. From here we board a motorboat to get to the other side of the lake and continue on towards the Pacific coast of Costa Rica.
Our hotel is idyllically located near the beach of Sámara. Exotic jungle plants, trees and flowers shape the surroundings that is home to many howler monkeys and iguanas.
Info: The boat crossing is only offered with a minimum of 4 participants. Smaller groups will be travelling by land (by eBike or pick-up to Tilarán and from there on to the Pacific coast).
Accommodation: Sol Sámara or Belvedere
eBike distance: approx. 32 km
↑ 530 m ↓ 550 m
Day 9: Sámara
The beaches of Sámara lure with warm white sand and shallow water. We have the entire day off to enjoy this paradise and there are plenty of activities you can join! How about snorkeling at the offshore coral reef or a walk along the beach to the cute town of Puerto Carrillo? You can also take the eBikes for another spin or simply relax at the beach…
Accommodation: Sol Sámara or Belvedere
eBike distance: optional
Day 10: Departure San José or extension program
Let’s enjoy the paradisiac beaches and warm Caribbean water one more time before we make our way back to San José by bus (4 h drive) or take off to our next destination. How about an Active-Tour at the Rincon de la Vieja or some extra beach-days? We are happy to help you planning your extrension program – please contact us!
Tour Dates & Prices
The prices quoted are per person in a double room, unless otherwise stated. Single room supplements may be added per person.
For further travel times and fares for your desired date, we will gladly inform you on request.
Not suitable for people with reduced mobility. This journey can be adapted to your needs though. Please contact us.
Please note that we have to cancel the trip no later than 30 days before departure if the minimum number of participants has not been reached by that time.Not suitable for people with reduced mobility. As a rule, the journey can be adapted to your needs. Please contact us.
Number of travelers
Maximum number of travelers: 12
Please note that we have to cancel the trip no later than 30 days before departure if the minimum number of participants is not reached by that time.
Final payment in days before departure: 30 Tage
- 9 nights in typical middle-class hotels and accommodations
- Daily breakfast, 4 x lunch, 4 x dinner
- Entrance fees and excursions according to the travel program
- English speaking, expert bike tour guide
- High-quality e-bike (mountain bike) including rental helmet
- Boat crossing on day 8 for 4 participants or more
- Transfers in private minibuses with air conditioning (up to 3 people in pick-up or group transfer)
- Airport transfers
- Escort vehicle with technical support
Not included services
- Intercontinental flights (we are happy to send you daily updated flights)
- National park fees
- Airport fees, entry and exit tax (SJO, currently about USD 29 per person)
- Any meaks or bevarages not listed in the itinerary
- Bike gloves (recommended)
- Optional services
- Personal expenses and tips
- Travel insurance (more information on request)
General travel advice
- Please bear in mind that traveling in Latin America is sometimes adventurous in nature and that, despite its perfect organization, it can occasionally result in minor changes, especially when weather conditions require it.
- The information on the driven eBike distances serve as a guide and make no claim to accuracy. We reserve the right to make adjustments according to the constitution of the group and / or the weather conditions.
- The hotels mentioned in the itinerary are subject to availability. If one or more of the mentioned hotels is fully booked, the accommodation will be in a suitable accommodation of equal or superior standard. You will receive the final list of accommodations two weeks prior to departure together with your travel documents.
- Please note that we have to cancel the trip up to four weeks prior to departure if the minimum number of participants has not been reached by this time.
- When booking a half double room we are obligated to charge the single room surcharge. This will be refunded prior to departure, if a double room partner has been found.
- This tour can also be booked as a private trip on any date. We are happy to send you prices on request.
- Depending on the condition, the cycle routes can be individually extended or shortened. During the entire journey, you will be accompanied by a transport vehicle, which carries the luggage and can be boarded at any time.
- On request the tour is also feasible with a regular mountain bike.
- Further questions? Write us or read in our FAQs.
Climate protection with atmosfair
Climate protection is becoming increasingly important - even when traveling! That is why we include as a sustainable tour operator and member of the forumandersreisen 20 Euro per traveler in your booking. With this amount we and you support our partner atmosfair, who invests the money in certified climate protection projects.
The actual emissions of your planned flight depend on the respective flight distance. On the atmosfair-calculator you will receive exact information. There you can compensate for the greenhouse gases of your flight with a voluntary donation. With its contribution to climate protection, atmosfair promotes renewable energies and energy efficiency projects in developing countries.